You sleep more than 8 hours but always feel tired. You wonder if you will ever find the secrets for a good night sleep.
For the 1st issue of “7 Silver Bullet Points”, let me share with you 7 easy steps to get the most uplifting sleep ever. This is a summary of Sleep Smarter written by Shawn Stevenson.
As a workaholic-in-recovery, I thought sleep was jeopardizing my productivity. With eye-opening evidence, this book proved me wrong. A study published in The Lancet found that sleep deprived people took 14% longer to complete a task and made 20% more errors than well rested folks. After integrating the following rituals into my life, I realized sleep is the killer productivity app.
I could write 10 pages on how the book transformed me, but let me reveal to you the 7 steps for the greatest sleep ever.
- Take a 10-20 minutes’ sun bath every morning between 6:00 and 8:30 AM. Sunlight sends a signal to our hypothalamus and all corresponding organs to be alert and wake up. If sun is not option, try to get natural light as much as possible.
- Walk barefoot on the grass and ground as often as possible. Research shows grounding is the most profound way to reduce cardiovascular risk and stress.
- Stay cool while you sleep by adjusting room temperature or take a warm bath 1½ hour before bed. Cool your infinite mind chatter with meditation and breathing techniques.
- Go black by turning off all lights and installing dark curtains.
Our skin registers light, then sends a message to our brain which cripples sleep quality. As a matter of fact, I put dark tape over every little light in my apartment, from the coffee maker to the router and my computer.
- Dress for the occasion. Activate sleep mode by wearing the same comfortable clothes before going to bed.
- Wear socks if you get cold feet at night. My fav hack!!!
- Sleep during golden hours. Per many studies, the optimal time to get resting sleep is between 10 PM and 2 AM, the rest is extra.
From now on, add a “good night’s sleep” to your to-do list if you want to have energy to complete your tasks.
To learn about more mind-blowing ways to optimize your sleep and have stunning energy daily, check out Sleep Smarter on Amazon or at your local library.